Subject: Re: [WIP/RFC 13/13] Documentation: Preliminary docs on 'git notes merge'

From: Johan Herland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 21:02:52 +0200

On Saturday 24 July 2010, Stephen Boyd wrote:
>   On 07/23/2010 03:15 AM, Johan Herland wrote:
> > +-X<strategy>::
> > +--resolve=<strategy>::
> > +	When merging notes, resolve notes conflicts using the given
> > +	strategy. The following strategies are recognized: "manual"
> > +	(default), "ours", "theirs" and "union". "ours" automatically
> > +	resolves conflicting notes in favor of the local version (i.e.
> > +	the current notes ref). "theirs" auto-resolves notes conflicts
> > +	in favor of the remote version (i.e. the given notes ref being
> > +	merged into the current notes ref). "union" auto-resolves
> > +	notes conflicts by concatenating the local and remote versions.
> > +
> 
> We use both "auto-resolves" and "automatically resolves" in this
> paragraph. Perhaps it's better to use one term throughout?

Agreed. I'll squash the following into the next iteration:

...Johan

diff --git a/Documentation/git-notes.txt b/Documentation/git-notes.txt
index f4ad4cc..9228349 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-notes.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-notes.txt
@@ -90,8 +90,9 @@ merge::
 	notes ref (called "remote") since the merge-base (if
 	any) into the current notes ref (called "local").
 +
-If conflicts arise (and a strategy for auto-resolving conflicting notes
-(see the -X/--resolve option) is not given, the merge fails (TODO).
+If conflicts arise (and a strategy for automatically resolving
+conflicting notes (see the -X/--resolve option) is not given,
+the merge fails (TODO).
 
 remove::
 	Remove the notes for a given object (defaults to HEAD).
@@ -146,12 +147,14 @@ OPTIONS
 --resolve=<strategy>::
 	When merging notes, resolve notes conflicts using the given
 	strategy. The following strategies are recognized: "manual"
-	(default), "ours", "theirs" and "union". "ours" automatically
-	resolves conflicting notes in favor of the local version (i.e.
-	the current notes ref). "theirs" auto-resolves notes conflicts
-	in favor of the remote version (i.e. the given notes ref being
-	merged into the current notes ref). "union" auto-resolves
-	notes conflicts by concatenating the local and remote versions.
+	(default), "ours", "theirs" and "union".
+	"ours" automatically resolves conflicting notes in favor of the
+	local version (i.e. the current notes ref).
+	"theirs" automatically resolves notes conflicts in favor of the
+	remote version (i.e. the given notes ref being merged into the
+	current notes ref).
+	"union" automatically resolves notes conflicts by concatenating
+	the local and remote versions.
 
 -q::
 --quiet::

-- 
Johan Herland, <[email-masked]>
www.herland.net