Subject: Re: Back-dating commits--way back--for constitution.git

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 09:39:08 +0200

Dnia wtorek 3. sierpnia 2010 00:47, Junio C Hamano napisał:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The headers inside commit (and tag) objects are stored in text form,
> > so they are not limited to 32-bit value.  You would have to use system
> > that has 64-bit time_t, or patch git.
> 
> I thought the internal representation of our time was "unsigned long", no?
> How can you represent anything before Unix epoch?

time_t is signed long.  Besides, git uses textual representation, its
just a matter of putting minus sign.  We can always fall back to
low level git-hash-object.

I'm just not sure if 'git commit' can work with dates prior to Unix
epoch.  I guess that git has some sanity checks that flies in the face
of such ab)use of git.

Refrences:
==========
[1] time(p) manpage
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_epoch#Representing_the_number
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_t

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland