Subject: Re: 'git stash list' vs. non-default 'log.date' setting

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:40:56 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 08:02:49AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Fortunately, fixing 2) is a no-brainer:
> 
> I don't think it is a "no-brainer" to "fix" it, even though it may be so
> to hack it around.  Having to give "--date=default" to "git log -g" to
> cause it to show reflog entries in non-date format sounds like a terrible
> UI bug to me.  I'd expect
> 
>     $ git log -g --date=default
> 
> to give you the logs in the default date format, overriding log.date

Indeed.  I was just trying to get back the old behavior quickly and
with minimal effort, and didn't think about what the default date
format should actually mean.

> and perhaps either of these
> 
>     $ git log -g --no-date
>     $ git log -g --date=no
>     $ git log -g --numbered
> 
> to countermand log.date and force it to show numbered entries.

It never occured to me before that that number in @{<num>} in reflogs
is actually kind of a date format.  But since it seems to be the case,
a dedicated --date=<whatever> option for this format might be good to
have, although I don't think that this date format would be applicable
to regular logs.

> I _think_ "git log -g" uses a hacky heuristics to choose between date/number
> based on how you give the stating ref.  I personally do not like this dwim
> very much, but it seems to be stable and established by now, so it may be
> a good thing to use here instead:
> 
>     $ git log -g refs/stash@{0}
>     $ git log -g refs/stash@{now}

I see the DWIMery in this case, but 'git stash list' uses
reflog-specific format specifiers to generate the list of stashes:

    git log --format="%gd: %gs" -g "$@" $ref_stash --

and unfortunately the %gd (and %gD) format specifier performs this
DWIMery only when log.date is not set, otherwise log.date takes over:

    $ git config --get log.date
    $ git log --format="%gd: %gs" -g refs/stash@{0}
    stash@{0}: On master: foo
    $ git log --format="%gd: %gs" -g refs/stash@{now}
    stash@{2010-08-09 17:41:37 +0200}: On master: foo
    $ git config log.date iso8601
    $ git log --format="%gd: %gs" -g refs/stash@{0}
    stash@{2010-08-09 17:41:37 +0200}: On master: foo
    $ git log --format="%gd: %gs" -g refs/stash@{now}
    stash@{2010-08-09 17:41:37 +0200}: On master: foo

Best,
Gábor