Subject: Re: BUG! missing .idx causes .pack to be removed

From: Enrico Weigelt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 18:02:21 +0200

* René Scharfe <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > IIRC, a .pack file is useless without its corresponding .idx file. So
> > the removal of a .pack file makes sense here - to me, at least.
> 
> git-index-pack can rebuild the index for a pack file.  Not sure if it
> should be done automagically, but the file is not completely useless.

ACK. packfiles are completely self-contained - the index files are
only used for lookup and can be created any time (IMHO that's also
done automatically on remote transfers). So removing a packfile,
just because the index is missing, causes an serious data loss.
That's what I'd consider a critical bug!

The correct solution would be either recreating the index
automatically or at least spit out an big-fat warning.

cu
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: [email-masked]
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme
----------------------------------------------------------------------