Subject: Re: inotify daemon speedup for git [POC/HACK]

From: Enrico Weigelt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 19:53:33 +0200

* Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> But then we could as well drop git object store in favor of Fossil (OK
> I'm going to far).

You mean venti ?

Actually: that's an idea I'm thinking about for quite a while :)

But venti is yet lacking delete operations and differential
compression. The first is unproblematic (even it would require
rewriting the log areas in some ways to reclaim space), but
for differential compression, the venti store would have to
know a lot about the object's internal structure.

I'm doing some bit reasearch in the area of distributed 
content-addressed objects stores , designing an superstore 
called "Nebulon" [1] with things like strong encryption and
on-demand fetching/syncing. But getting git into it seems
to be a bit tricky, at least the hashes would change ...

cu

[1] http://www.metux.de/index.php/de/nebulon-storage-cloud.html
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: [email-masked]
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme
----------------------------------------------------------------------