Subject: Re: [PATCH] hash binary sha1 into patch id

From: Clemens Buchacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 23:58:01 +0200

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 04:37:26PM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> 
> FWIW what I was imagining was some structured binary format:
> 
> With A some long string, patch 1:
> 
>  A  --> AAA
> 
> Patch 2:
> 
>  AA --> AAA
> 
> Ideally one would want an attempt to apply patch 2 to result in a
> conflict.  Probably that is far-fetched.

Actually, rebase will try to merge the respective branches and it
will typically succeed, because the post-images are the same. It
will fail due to conflict only if yet another patch has been
applied upstream on top of patch 1.

But that is also how textual changes behave. So for the sake of
consistency, it makes sense to require the pre-images to be the
same. I will resend an appropriate patch tomorrow.