Subject: Re: [GSoC update] git-remote-svn: The final one

From: Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:52:37 +0530

Hi Erik,

Erik Faye-Lund writes:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Ramkumar Ramachandra
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Stephen Bash writes:
> >> First, congratulations on making it through GSoC.  I've been avidly following your progress since our off-list discussion at the beginning of the summer, and I'm excited to watch the work continue.
> 
> +1 on the congratulation! I've also been following the progress, but
> from a distance. As I use git-svn to work with SVN at $dayjob, I can't
> wait to get something running.

Thanks :)

> > We're doing better than that- when the whole thing is complete, we
> > should have perfectly seamless two-way compatibility.
> 
> Does this include handling SVN repos where the layout have changed
> during it's lifetime? If so, how will this look on the git side?

Yes, but we don't know yet. There's been some speculation about
re-implementing the branch/ tag mapper in git-svn on top of
git-remote-svn once it's complete. Anyway, Sam's illustration has been
most insightful to me on this issue [1]. Will has also started
thinking about this and has some preliminary notes outlining the
challenges. When the notes are more mature, I'll post them to the list
so we can get a wider audience to discuss this at length :)

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/150007

-- Ram