Subject: git-remote-svn: Future development timeline

From: Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:46:14 +0530

Hi,

The ETA for completion of git-remote-svn is three months. Here's a
relatively short-term plan.

I'm currently writing the dumpfilev3 support into svn-dump-fast-export
with two of Jonathan's patches applied [1]:
'Teach fast-import to import subtrees named by tree id' and
'Teach fast-import to print the id of each imported commit'

The first is already in `pu` and I've just ressurected the discussion
pertaining to the second. Since I already have a stopgap svndiff0
parser, I can work on re-implementing a better parser while
simultaneously working on dumpfilev3 support. I expect to have made
some significant progress by this weekend. Depending on the
fast-import patch, I expect that this'll take upwards of a month to
complete.

I'm also simultaneously working on cleaning up `svnrdump` and
abstracting out many of its components as a reusable library. The work
is pretty light, and there's no hurry to finish this off.

The branch/ tag mapper needs more thought and sketching out. I'll
think about this harder, mock up a few models, and put up some serious
notes next week for discussion.

I'll defer the conversion from the fast-export stream to dumpfilev3
for now.

As usual, everyone is welcome to join in.

[1] The work's in a bit of a mess, but I'll soon rebase it on
`pu-base` on http://github.com/artagnon/git

-- Ram