Subject: wishlist bugreport: make limit configurable for do_fmt_merge_msg (merge.log)

From: Yaroslav Halchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:01:27 -0400

Hi Git Developers,

Shame on me but couldn't figure out if there is any official bug tracker
for git -- previously I just complained here, so keeping the tradition:

merge.log (or merge.summary) enables a really nice feature of including
a list of commits involved in the merge.  Unfortunately it is limited to
20 entries and only includes total number of included commits if that is
larger than 20.

Looking at the source code (if I got it right)

static int do_fmt_merge_msg(int merge_title, int merge_summary,
	struct strbuf *in, struct strbuf *out) {
	int limit = 20, i = 0, pos = 0;
.... no line touches limit ....
			shortlog(origins.items[i].string, origins.items[i].util,
					head, &rev, limit, out);

so, limit of 20 is hardcoded and cannot be altered via configuration.  I
would love to have it configurable, so, if desired, be set to infinity
(configuration wide or as a cmd line parameter for a specific merge).

Thanks in advance
-- 
                                  .-.
=------------------------------   /v\  ----------------------------=
Keep in touch                    // \\     (yoh@|www.)onerussian.com
Yaroslav Halchenko              /(   )\               ICQ#: 60653192
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]