Subject: [RFC/PATCH 00/17] unexpected backslashes in man pages

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 05:19:02 -0500

(cc: interested parties and documentation experts)

Hi,

This series is longer than I would like, and I am not happy to
impose the review burden.  So if something does not look obviously
correct at a glance, please let me know and I'll try to simplify it.

The topic: as Frédéric Brière noticed in
<http://bugs.debian.org/540001>, various man pages have collected
backslashes where they don't belong.

Maybe we should forbid backslashes outside of

--------
literal
--------

sections.  Well, I did not go that far.

Still, maybe the patches can be useful.

Jonathan Nieder (17):
  Documentation: tweak description of log.date
  Documentation: quoting trouble in "git rm" discussion
  Documentation: unbreak regex in show-ref --exclude-existing
    description
  Documentation: clarify quoting in "git add" example
  Documentation: add missing quotes to "git grep" examples
  Documentation: clarify quoting in "git rm" example
  Documentation: clarify quoting in gitignore docs
  Documentation: remove backslashes in manpage synopses
  Documentation/technical: avoid stray backslash in parse-options API
    docs
  Documentation: remove stray backslash from "git bundle" manual
  Documentation: remove backslash before ~ in fast-import manual
  Documentation: remove stray backslashes in rev-parse manual
  Documentation: remove stray backslash in show-branch discussion
  Documentation: avoid stray backslashes in core tutorial
  Documentation: avoid stray backslash in user manual
  Documentation: do not convert ... operator to ellipses
  Documentation: remove stray backslashes from "Fighting regressions"
    article

 Documentation/asciidoc.conf                   |    2 ++
 Documentation/config.txt                      |    9 +++++----
 Documentation/git-add.txt                     |    4 ++--
 Documentation/git-bisect-lk2009.txt           |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-bundle.txt                  |    8 ++++----
 Documentation/git-checkout-index.txt          |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-checkout.txt                |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-commit-tree.txt             |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-fast-export.txt             |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-for-each-ref.txt            |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-grep.txt                    |    4 ++--
 Documentation/git-ls-files.txt                |    6 +++---
 Documentation/git-merge-index.txt             |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-push.txt                    |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-rebase.txt                  |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-relink.txt                  |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-rev-parse.txt               |    9 +++++----
 Documentation/git-rm.txt                      |    9 +++++----
 Documentation/git-show-branch.txt             |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-show-ref.txt                |    4 ++--
 Documentation/git-update-index.txt            |    4 ++--
 Documentation/gitcore-tutorial.txt            |   18 +++++++++---------
 Documentation/gitignore.txt                   |    4 ++--
 Documentation/rev-list-options.txt            |    2 +-
 Documentation/technical/api-parse-options.txt |    8 ++++----
 Documentation/user-manual.txt                 |    4 ++--
 26 files changed, 61 insertions(+), 56 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.2.2.536.g42dab.dirty