Subject: [PATCH 07/17] Documentation: clarify quoting in gitignore docs

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 05:30:56 -0500

An asterisk in "Documentation/*.txt" quoted with \ to avoid bold text
is being output as \* because asciidoc does not consider it a
candidate for escaping (there is no matching * to pair it with).

So the manual looks like it is saying that one should write
"Documentation/\*.txt" in the .gitignore file.

Reported-by: Frédéric Brière <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/gitignore.txt |    4 ++--
 1 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/gitignore.txt b/Documentation/gitignore.txt
index e10fa88..7dc2e8b 100644
--- a/Documentation/gitignore.txt
+++ b/Documentation/gitignore.txt
@@ -90,12 +90,12 @@ Patterns have the following format:
  - Otherwise, git treats the pattern as a shell glob suitable
    for consumption by fnmatch(3) with the FNM_PATHNAME flag:
    wildcards in the pattern will not match a / in the pathname.
-   For example, "Documentation/\*.html" matches
+   For example, "Documentation/{asterisk}.html" matches
    "Documentation/git.html" but not "Documentation/ppc/ppc.html"
    or "tools/perf/Documentation/perf.html".
 
  - A leading slash matches the beginning of the pathname.
-   For example, "/*.c" matches "cat-file.c" but not
+   For example, "/{asterisk}.c" matches "cat-file.c" but not
    "mozilla-sha1/sha1.c".
 
 An example:
-- 
1.7.2.2.536.g42dab.dirty