Subject: Re: [feature request] gitweb: tags in history

From: Jean Delvare <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 20:07:07 +0200

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:47:12 +0200, Lars Hjemli wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 19:21, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Lars Hjemli wrote:
> >> <shameless plug>
> >> With cgit, you can answer such questions by combining path limiting
> >> and range queries, e.g.
> >> http://hjemli.net/git/cgit/log/scan-tree.c?qt=range&q=v0.8.2..v0.8.3
> >> shows all commits affecting scan-tree.c between v0.8.2 and v0.8.3.
> >> Maybe gitweb could implement something similar?
> >> </shameless plug>
> >
> > Gitweb also supports range limiting in log-like views from some time,
> > but currently there is no UI for that, and you have to handcraft the URL,
> > e.g.:
> >
> >  http://gitweb.example.com/repo.git?a=history;f=foo.c;hpb=v0.8.2;hb=v0.8.3
> >
> > or (in the path_info form)
> >
> >    http://gitweb.example.com/repo.git/history/v0.8.2..v0.8.3:/foo.c
> 
> Nice, I didn't know gitweb supported this - maybe it's all Jean needs?

Well, as long as there is no UI for it, it's not too useful: I'm can
run git on the command line for the same result (with git log.)

Also, it doesn't exactly suits my needs. I don't necessarily know in
advance the range in which the change happened. Quite often, the
question I have to answer is the other way around, that is: when did a
given change happen? Sometimes I know the commit ID and I can just call
"git name-rev" (although it's somewhat slow and the output isn't
friendly), but sometimes I don't know even that, and this is when I'd
like to be able to just browse the history for a given file with
all relevant tags printed. This also gives a more general picture
of what happened to the file over time immediately, which is sometimes
useful.

Thanks,
-- 
Jean Delvare