Subject: Re: git commands

From: David Aguilar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 14:19:23 -0700

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 06:41:35PM +0800, Lin Mac wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> 2010/8/20 sandy2010 <[email-masked]>:
> > Yeah.. Actually, we were using git-15.6 and the command we used was
> > 'git-clone'. Later, I upgraded to git-1.7.1 and I found that in the
> > installation directory, there was only 4 binaries including git. I was
> > wondering were are the rest commands like git-clone, etc? Hence, I asked
> > this question.
> I have the same question regarding the installation here. I'm trying
> to upgrade from v1.5.x to the newest. But found that there are only a
> few files installed. Where are the rest? Should I uninstall the old
> version before I install? And is there any issues for the newer
> version works in respository made by v1.5.x, like git-svn?
> 
> Best Regards,
> Mac Lin.

Uninstall the old one and install the new one.
All the same commands are there, they're just organized
nicer so that they don't have to necessarily live in your $PATH.

The old version provided commands like 'git-clone' in /usr/bin.
You cannot use them like that anymore.
These days we say 'git clone' (no dashes).

Here's a blurb from http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/8/17/174

GIT v1.6.0 Release Notes
========================
User visible changes
--------------------
With the default Makefile settings, most of the programs are now
installed outside your $PATH, except for "git", "gitk" and
some server side programs that need to be accessible for technical
reasons.  Invoking a git subcommand as "git-xyzzy" from the command
line has been deprecated since early 2006 (and officially announced in
1.5.4 release notes); use of them from your scripts after adding
output from "git --exec-path" to the $PATH is still supported in this
release, but users are again strongly encouraged to adjust their
scripts to use "git xyzzy" form, as we will stop installing
"git-xyzzy" hardlinks for built-in commands in later releases.

-- 

	David