Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/13] fast-import: add the 'done' command

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 17:32:18 -0500

Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 16:24, Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> It is tempting to make the 'done' command mandatory when the "done"
>> feature is used, to prevent confusion from streams that are cut off
>> early.  What do frontends currently do to handle that?
>
> If the stream ends with an EOF at the end of a command, they would act
> as if that was the end of the stream. If it ends mid-stream (e.g.,
> while parsing a 'commit'), they would error out.

Okay, if the frontend is in control usually there would be some
nonzero exit code or signal; and if transport-helper is in control, I
think it would notice after your series.  I was just worried about
invocations like

 foo-fast-export | git fast-import

where an error might go undiagnosed (and any error message drowned out
by the summary fast-import writes at the end).

Will think more.