Subject: Re: [PATCH for next] insert missing newline in a diagnostic

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:17:29 -0500

(+cc: Matthieu, Junio)

Hi Jim,

Jim Meyering wrote:

> When merging, I would get a message like this:
> 
>   error: The following untracked working tree files would be overwritten by merge:
>   FILE_NAMEPlease move or remove them before you can merge.
> 
> This change inserts the newline after FILE_NAME.

I fear it is more complicated.  With your patch, in some situations
(e.g., when running t7609-merge-co-error-msgs.sh) I get a leading tab
and extra newline:

 error: The following untrack...
	FILE_NAME

 Please move or remove them before you can merge.

In unpack-trees, display_error_msgs() prints the version with a tab
but you are getting the message from add_rejected_path which suggests
to me that o->show_all_errors is unset.

Was there some other error before then?

Jonathan

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/152965/focus=153211