Subject: Re: usage for git-p2p (was: git pack/unpack over bittorrent - works!)

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 15:29:47 -0400

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> ikiwiki is one, and moinmoin can also be configured to use git. Wikis
> have already solved the "conflict" problem, in particular i know that
> joey is a smart bunny and has solved conflict resolution in ikiwiki.

More accurately, I have entirely punted conflict resolution onto the
underlying VCS, such as git, and taken advantage of its generally
excellent merging behavior to avoid the most common classes of things
that result in conflicts/locking on other wikis (like two users editing
different parts of the same page concurrently).

Two branches of a wiki with committers to both can still of course
result in conflicts. In this case, it might make sense to avoid conflict
resolution during merging, and make the conflicted page be committed
containing both versions and some sort of "conflict here!" warning
directive. Then the wiki software can provide an web interface for
cleaning up the conflict later. A custom merge driver could do something
like that, although there's the problem that not all files in the wiki
will be wiki pages, or the conflict could involve conflicting renames of
pages. (Another approach would be to use the "ours" merge strategy.)

-- 
see shy jo, lazy bunny