Subject: Re: [PATCH] po/hi.po: Add Hindi Translation

From: Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 20:31:56 +0530

Hi Thiago,

[+cc: list, because I think others will find it useful as well]

Thiago Farina writes:
> How did you do this translation? I would like to do the Portuguese
> Brazilian translation. I have tried the poedit, but I couldn't make it
> work yet.

Here's a quick tutorial to get started:
1. Get Ævar's fork of git.git from [1] and checkout the `ab/i18n-all`
   branch.
2. Read the instructions in po/README to create the actual .po file.
3. Get an editor that has transliteration support. For example, for
   Emacs and Hindi, execute (set-input-method devanagari-itrans) and
   use C-\ to switch between the input methods. 
4. If you're not able to find a suitable editor or otherwise, use
   Google Transliterate [2].
5. Optionally, copy out some additional headers from `po/is.po` etc.
6. Translate and send the patch to the list.

Hope that helps.

-- Ram

[1]: git://github.com/avar/git.git
[2]: http://google.com/transliterate