Subject: Re: problems installing git docs and gitweb on centos 5.5

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:40:59 -0500

(-cc: security@centos)

Hi Dennis,

Dennis Huynh wrote:

> Am I the only one having issues installing git docs?

Here's my advice:

 1. Breathe in, breathe out.
 2. Look at the INSTALL file, section beginning "To build and install
    documentation suite".  Among other things, it describes how to
    retrieve pre-formatted documentation from the git.git repository
    itself.  So you can try:

	git clone git://git2.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git
	cd git
	make quick-install-doc

    after installing git, which should be relatively painless.
 3. Look at gitweb/INSTALL.  The moment something seems unclear, note
    that, so we can come up with a patch to make it clearer for the
    next person.

[...]
>                                                              I then
> 'make install-doc' again and get an 'nbsp' not defined error.

I suspect you do not have docbook XSL installed completely.  Given
a more specific error message, maybe someone on this list could help.

> Also, is there anywhere I can get better documentation on installing
> gitweb and gitosis running properly?

I've never tried gitosis, but some gitosis users were very active on
#git when I last visited.  Maybe they could help?

The usual advice applies here, too: where the README is unclear,
please do let Tommi Virtanen know.  After an aha moment this might a
good way to make sure you are really on the right.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan