Subject: Re: [PATCHv6 00/16] Add missing &&'s in the testsuite

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 22:44:46 -0500

Hi Ævar,

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

> Since Jonathan says all but 7 & 15 are OK (and I looked at those) I
> assume I don't need to hunt down some other discussion and comment on
> that. I.e. unless someone replies here.

If you find time, it would be nice to take a look at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/157827/focus=157874
(concerning patch 1/16), to consider quoting issues.

Because of all the nested quoting (and funny indentation, too), I
found the test hard to read.  Probably the best long-term solution
would be to use something like the style[1] notmuch’s test suite uses.

I can only see problems coming from this if the path to the test
directory has shell metacharacters (especially '$') in it, which would
seem to me to be a pretty unusual setup.

[1] or as Jeff suggested recently:

test_start 'setup'
cat >expect <<EOF
... whatever ...
EOF
test_end success

test_start 'description'
git frob >actual &&
test_cmp expect actual
test_end success

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/155596/focus=155681