Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v4 0/4] Detection of directory renames

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 20:42:08 -0500

Yann Dirson wrote:

>                                       The most prominent change is a
> split of the old --factorize-renames flag into --detect-dir-renames
> and --hide-dir-rename-details - hopefully following Junio's comments
> dated nearly 2 years ago.

I suspect that makes the patches more readable, too.

> I hope we can turn the simple detection feature to something
> acceptable for inclusion - that is, once unified diff output shows the
> detected renames as annotations, and once the known major holes are
> plugged (both from FIXME and testcases).

>>From my point of view, I think it would be best to start with
the smallest usable piece, which is the raw format.  It probably
makes the most sense to error out when -u and --detect-dir-renames are
used together.  Then unified diff could be reenabled in a separate
patch series on top of this one.

Another nice feature might be to let the directory-move
detection feed back into file-move detection to make it more
accurate.  Have you thought about this?  Would it be feasible,
and if so, would it be useful?