Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Re: Undocumented git-diff syntax

From: Yann Dirson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 20:52:50 +0200

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:02:24AM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Yann Dirson wrote:
> 
> > OTOH, that appears not to be 100% accurate (my tests would have
> > shown me): although --no-index does give me the expected results when
> > one or two of the files are untracked, I have to explicitely add it,
> > which seem to contradict this part of the doc.
> 
> Yep, the doc is out of date.  Luckily I had a series updating it
> rotting in my local tree.
> 
> Patch 5 gives --no-index its own prominent mention in the DESCRIPTION
> section.  I suspect that is a bad idea --- too much to learn for new
> users --- and that the description should go under OPTIONS, but I ran
> out of time.

OTOH, not making it prominent does not help users to realize it is
there.  Keeping it last, or maybe in a "less frequently used" section
looks fine to me - eg. the <commit>...<commit> form could join it into
such a section

> Maybe patches 1-4 can help?

They make things much more clear, thanks.

So it looks like after this doc patch series, we're left with a couple
of bugs:

* the "fatal: '../Makefile' is outside repository" seen by Santi
* the following which should probably complain that the files cannot
  be compared:

$ echo a>a;echo b>b
$ git diff a b; echo $?
0

At least, I can't think of them as meaningful behaviours.

Best regards,
-- 
Yann