Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/7] Teach fast-import to print the id of each imported commit

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:07:02 -0500

Sverre Rabbelier wrote:

> Perhaps we can instead make '--report-fd' have a default value of
> 'stdout'?

Sounds sane.

> I don't see why we would want to _disallow_ the value from
> being specified in stream (we allow import/export-marks in-stream
> too), as long as they can be overruled by the commandline.

I do.  If the stream is not being piped to a process the frontend
started (maybe it's being sent over the wire to some fast-import
service instead), what would

	feature report-fd=7

even mean?  So we should discourage it, or better, forbid it now
while we have the chance.

By contrast, as you explained,

	feature relative-marks
	feature export-marks=MARKS1

is meaningful because without knowing anything about the underlying
filing system, a frontend can rely on a later

	feature relative-marks
	feature import-marks=MARKS1

picking up where it left off.