Subject: Re: Push not writing to standard error

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:21:17 -0500

Chase Brammer wrote:

>                                    saving the standard error from bash
> to a file during a push doesn't seem to be working.  I am only able to
> get standard output, which doesn't give the progress of the push
> (counting, delta, compressing, and writing status).
[...]
> git push origin master --progress > ~/push_error_output.txt 2>&1
[...]
> Idea's on work arounds or upcoming patches to fix this?

None from me.  But some hints for a patch:

 - As the man page says,

   --progress

	Progress status is reported on the standard error stream
	by default when it is attached to a terminal, unless -q is
	specified. This flag forces progress status even if the
	standard error stream is not directed to a terminal.

   It looks like this facility is not working.

 - Terminals are distinguished from nonterminals with isatty()

 - The "Counting objects..." output comes from pack-objects.
   Running with GIT_TRACE=1 reveals that the --progress option is
   not being passed to pack-objects as it should be.

 - Is this a regression?  If so, narrowing the regression window
   with a few rounds of "git bisect" could be helpful.

Thanks for the report.