Subject: Re: Automating svn<->git gateway

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 22:31:59 +0200

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:54:54 -0700, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> Jan Hudec <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I want to set up a gateway between subversion and git, which would keep the
> > master synchonized with subversion trunk, both ways, and allow working with
> > any additional branches independent of subversion. For users it should behave
> > as any other shared git repository accessed by push and pull. And it needs to
> > be automatic.
> > 
> > Did anybody try to set up something like this?
> 
> It is a pity that "Native SVN support in git" project at Google Summer of
> Code 2010 (https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2010Projects) turned
> out to be too much for one summer; though people are working on it.  It
> would be perfect for this situation.

I am not actually sure it would. What I want is that for people who already
switch to git may immediately stop caring about subversion. From their point
of view, it shouldn't be there.

So while I'm sure the native SVN support will solve the quirks and bugs of
git-svn, it will not do away with need for the gateway repository that will
somehow synchronize itself with subversion.

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>