Subject: Re: Converting to Git using svn-fe (Was: Speeding up the initial git-svn fetch)

From: Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 19:35:16 +0530

Hi Will,

Will Palmer writes:
> It's been a while since I was involved in this discussion, so maybe the
> design has changed by now,

Yep, and I'm to blame for that- sorry I didn't CC you earlier. I got
confused between "Tomas Carnecky" and "Will Palmer". To avoid this
confusion in future, I'd request everyone to display the names they
use on the list in the IRC whois information (unless it's a privacy
issue).

> but I was under the impression that there
> would be one "one-to-one" mapping branch (which would never be checked
> out), containing the history of /, and that the "real" git branches,
> tags, etc, would be based on the trees originally referenced by the root
> checkout, with git-notes (or similar) being used to track the weirdness
> in mappings. How does the "multiple branches touched in a single commit"
> complicate anything other than the heuristics for automatic branch
> detection (which I assume nobody is at the stage of talking about yet).

Yeah, that was my plan too originally, but I clearly haven't thought
about it enough. I'm currently noting down the various scenarios that
the others are quoting -- there are quite a few I hadn't thought about
earlier.

[...]

-- Ram