Subject: bash completion broken on ubuntu 10.10?

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 01:04:09 +0200

Hi,

Git's bash completion script offers possible arguments to some
options, e.g. it lists pretty formats after 'git log --pretty=<TAB>',
merge tools after 'git mergetool --tool=<TAB>', refs after 'git commit
--reuse-message=<TAB>', etc.

On a three day old ubuntu 10.10 install these don't work anymore; the
completion script offers the list of files in all those cases.

After a bit of investigation I found that when I press TAB after 'git
log --pretty=', then ${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD-1]} contains '--pretty'
and ${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD]} contains "=".  Weird.

Then I remembered that we had some COMP_WORDBREAKS issues in the past
(db8a9ff, bash completion: Resolve git show ref:path<tab> losing ref:
portion, 2008-07-15)).  So I looked at my $COMP_WORDBREAKS, but didn't
see anything suspicious (it contains "'><=;|&(: ).  Removing the '='
makes the listing after 'git log --pretty=' work, but breaks many
other things badly.

I don't have any ideas what could possibly be wrong here (but it's too
late here for any bright ideas anyway...).  Could someone confirm or
deny this behaviour on ubuntu 10.10?

Thanks,
Gábor