Subject: Re: [PATCHv4 00/21] git notes merge

From: Johan Herland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 00:28:33 +0200

(fragmenting this thread for the last time, I promise...)

On Thursday 21 October 2010, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 21:08, Johan Herland wrote:
> > - When resolving notes merge conflicts, you can add/remove files/notes
> >  in .git/NOTES_MERGE_WORKTREE; 'git notes merge --commit' does not
> >  check that the notes have any relationship to the notes originally
> >  put there by 'git notes merge'. Should we warn about removed and
> >  added notes in .git/NOTES_MERGE_WORKTREE? Currently we don't, and
> >  I'm not sure it's worth it. Users can always review the merge commit
> >  afterwards.
> 
> If it's easy to do, it would be useful.

Well, currently I don't store a separate list of conflicts anywhere, so I 
would need to add that in order to have 'git notes merge --commit' warn 
about deletions/additions in .git/NOTES_MERGE_WORKTREE.

Also, for conflicts where a note is modified in one branch and deleted in 
the other, I don't think it makes sense to warn about their deletion (since 
that in many cases is a perfectly valid resolution of those conflicts).

Which leaves warning about "other" additions/deletions. We could certainly 
do this, but I'd frankly rather get the current patch series through without 
broadening its scope. I've been sitting on this far too long as it is. I'll 
keep it on my TODO list for a future series (if nobody else beats me to it).

...Johan

-- 
Johan Herland, <[email-masked]>
www.herland.net