Subject: Re: [PATCH] Sync "git diff -h" with the manual, show options summary.

From: Yann Dirson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 20:44:25 +0200

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 08:04:26PM +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Thiago Farina <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Yann Dirson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >>  static const char builtin_diff_usage[] =
> >> -"git diff <options> <rev>{0,2} -- <path>*";
> >> +"git diff [<common diff options>] <commit>{0,2} -- <path>*"
> >
> > Why change from <options> to <common diff options> ?
> 
> Because this is what the man page says I guess.

Yes, as well as the usage strings for diff-tree, diff-files, and
diff-index.  "diff" was just the only one to be different here, and if
we want to keep "<options>" for conciseness here, we also probably
want to change it everywhere (or maybe "<diff options>" for the diff-*
commands ?) - after all, this is just a short usage string, not the
reference page.