Subject: Re: [PATCH 03/10] Change remote tracking to remote-tracking in non-trivial places

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:44:29 -0500

Matthieu Moy wrote:

> --- a/Documentation/everyday.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/everyday.txt
> @@ -180,12 +180,12 @@ directory; clone from it to start a repository on the satellite
>  machine.
>  <2> clone sets these configuration variables by default.
>  It arranges `git pull` to fetch and store the branches of mothership
> -machine to local `remotes/origin/*` tracking branches.
> +machine to local `remotes/origin/*` remote-tracking branches.

I find this scans better as "tracking branches", but consistent use of
jargon might trump that.  Maybe it could be reworded somehow?

	<2> clone sets these configuration variables by default.
	They arrange for `git pull` to fetch and store the branches
	of the mothership machine to local `remotes/origin/*` tracking
	refs.

Not sure.  remotes/origin/* are not branches for local development, so
calling them "branches" without a "remote-tracking" caveat can be
confusing.

> --- a/Documentation/git-gc.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/git-gc.txt
> @@ -89,7 +89,7 @@ are not part of the current project most users will want to expire
>  them sooner.  This option defaults to '30 days'.
>  
>  The above two configuration variables can be given to a pattern.  For
> -example, this sets non-default expiry values only to remote tracking
> +example, this sets non-default expiry values only to remote-tracking
>  branches:

The rest of the changes in this patch would have been caught by the
"perl -pi ..." command, except line wrapping got in the way.  They are
obviously good.