Subject: Why /var/cache/git?

From: Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:30:06 +1100

(resent - correct address for git list!)

(Gerrit: you're CC'd as the attribution in README.Debian
 which in the one place I can see /var/cache/git mentioned
 in the docs - without a justification for why it was
 chosen...)

I'm setting up shared repositories on a machine, and I notice
all the examples I can find on the web, and also the 
auto-created directory from the packages are /var/cache/git/

So I looked at the FHS, because that seemed odd to me:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARCACHEAPPLICATIONCACHEDATA

    /var/cache is intended for cached data from applications.
    Such data is locally generated as a result of time-consuming
    I/O or calculation. The application must be able to regenerate
    or restore the data. Unlike /var/spool, the cached files can
    be deleted without data loss.

I guess in theory, someone else has all those commits in their
local git repository somewhere.  Still, it feels to me that
/var/lib/git is the correct location.  Is there any reason why
/var/spool/git was chosen?

(I'm running Debian Lenny with the 1.7.1 backport packages, but
I see examples from Fedora with the same paths as well)

Bron.