Subject: Re: [PATCH] Remove restriction on notes ref base

From: Johan Herland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 23:58:11 +0100

On Tuesday 02 November 2010, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> As to remote interface, refs/remotes/$remotes/ hierarchy corresponds to
> the local refs/heads/ interface, so I do not think we will change the
> default mapping we document (and have "clone" prepare) to place notes
> obtained from elsewhere in refs/remotes/ hierarchy (we do not do that for
> tags neither), so I think Johan's point is an independent issue.

I assume that means you'd rather have remote-tracking notes refs live under 
refs/notes. So, to avoid collisions with local notes refs (and remote-
tracking notes refs from _other_ remote), we probably want to store them 
under refs/notes/remotes/$remote/. I have no problem with that.

Although I'm starting to wonder whether our remote -> local refspec mappings 
are getting too varied (i.e. confusing). Currently we have:

  Remote repo    ->   Local repo
  ------------------------------------------------
  refs/heads/*        refs/remotes/$remote/*
  refs/tags/*         refs/tags/*

...and soon we may also have:
  refs/notes/*        refs/notes/remotes/$remote/*

Of these, the first is specified in the config, the second is 
implicit/magic, and the third would be specified in the config.

...Johan

-- 
Johan Herland, <[email-masked]>
www.herland.net