Subject: Re: [PATCH] contrib/svn-fe: Fast script to remap svn history

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:42:42 -0600

Stephen Bash wrote:

> This has been discussed (and IMO it is essentially required to achieve high accuracy in the mapping):
> 
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/158940/focus=159331

I think the suggestion of that thread was (tweaked a little)
something like this:

 - List of directories with copyfrom information.
   Prune them so no listed directory is an ancestor of another.
   The result would usually be a single directory name.

 - Record that directory's (or those directories') copyfrom
   information in the log message.

In general, I don't like limiting the information accessible to branch
mappers this way.  Maybe a branch mapper would like to look at the
copyfrom information for files instead of directories.  But this does
have the advantages of being simple and of not littering imported
trees with spurious files.

It also leaves open the question of how we would record unhandled node
properties (like svn:ignore and svn:eol) and empty directories, if at
all.

Probably in the end we will have to give up and provide multiple
options to choose between. :)

Jonathan