Subject: Re: Git branch workflow

From: Enrico Weigelt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 04:05:16 +0100

* [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Consider a specific scenario:
> I am on dev server on master branch and I want to develop a specific  
> feature F.
> I cut a Feature branch F from master and start working on the feature.  
>   Once I am done with most of the work on F and it works reasonably  
> well, I want to push it to production, but .. before I do I realize  
> that I want to make some CSS fixes to the site, unrelated to other  
> branches, and I can wait with pushing Feature branch to Production  
> until I fix up CSS reasonably well.
> Here is the question:  do I cut the CSS branch from Master or do I cut  
> it from the Feature branch?

My advise: always fork from the latest stable revision (in your case:
production server's master). Before merging, always rebase onto latest
master and possibly rerun the test cycle.

cu
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: [email-masked]
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme
----------------------------------------------------------------------