Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Document toplevel gitconfig file

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:52:02 -0600

Nathan W. Panike wrote:

> --- a/Documentation/config.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/config.txt
> @@ -8,6 +8,17 @@ is used to store the configuration for that repository, and
>  fallback values for the `.git/config` file. The file `/etc/gitconfig`
>  can be used to store a system-wide default configuration.
>  
> +One can also create a `.gitconfig` file in the toplevel of the
> +repository. This config file will then be propogated to collaborators
> +when they pull from your repository.  Only `alias` config variables are
> +allowed to be set in this `.gitconfig` file.  One can turn off the
> +shared `.gitconfig` by setting the environment variable
> +'GIT_CONFIG_NOSHARED' to 1; it will then be propogated but will not be
> +used for configuration settings.

Please no.  Why not set up aliases in a setup-aliases.sh script and
mention it in your README?

If I clone a repository to investigate it and then a typo results in

	$ git lgo

emptying my $HOME directory, I would not call that a feature.