Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation/config.txt: Order variables alphabetically

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 00:38:52 +0100

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Jeff King wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 07:10:55PM +0200, Jari Aalto wrote:
> 
> > 2010-12-01 18:37 Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>:
> > > Having related config variables together is IMVHO more important than
> > > having config variables sorted alphabetically.
> > 
> > That's subjective criteria. I doubt there are many related one that
> > can't be handled with standard "see also".
> 
> Don't we already have a plan and some patches in flight (from Thomas) to
> turn the master list into a straight one-line-per-config index (which
> probably _should_ be alphabetized), and then put related options into
> their respective manpages (which effectively sorts them by
> functionality)?

Actually Thomas Rast patches (the 'tr/config-doc', not even in 'pu')
are about finding config variables referenced in individual manpages
but not in list of config variables, and adding reference to them in
list of all config variables.  Sorting list of variables is orthogonal
to that (though first version sorted by default).

> 
> This patch is just going to cause conflicts with Thomas's, and in the
> end will be obsoleted by it.

Could be obsoleted, yes (if we chose sorting).  Cause confict, no; at
least if first patch in series is generated by script, as described in
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/162145
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland