Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-commit.txt: Order options alphabetically

From: Jan Krüger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:53:24 +0100

[Cc un-culled]

--- Jari Aalto <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The reader have to guess "imagined groups"? Hm, that's interesting.

Perhaps a more desirable (and agreeable) patch would introduce group
subheadings, then? I agree with the majority of people who chimed in
here that functional grouping is a good thing. Perhaps we should
actually commit to that by having explicit groups.

In rev-list-related options we already have a couple of explicit
groups. I think I'd go insane if I ever had to find anything in there
without those groups.

> [...] Git's command
> line is inconsistent in many places and there is room for improvement.
> Documentation is one way to spot those.

That seems to be the only reason you've brought forward for alphabetic
sorting, except the claim that "people read from top to
bottom" (which is essentially true, but I don't think anybody would
read, say, a printed dictionary all the way through; the alphabetic
ordering there is for being able to index/search the content in the
absence of another way to index/search).

In any case, the end user will probably be more often interested in
appropriately grouped options than in being able to easily find
inconsistencies between various commands.

-Jan