Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] [RFD] Using gitrevisions :/search style with other operators

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 12:43:43 +0100

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:
>>> 2010/12/9 Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>:
>>
>>>> I wonder if it would be possible to make :/<regex> (which looks a bit
>>>> like searching the index) to be an alias to --all^{/<regex>}...
>>>
>>> It looks a bit strange to my eyes to merge normal option name with
>>> revision syntax. But I think it's possible. Do we allow branch/tag
>>> name with leading '-'?
>>
>> Well, with below proposal it would simply be
>>
>>  --all ^{/<regexp>}
> 
> This hardly works with range and may conflict with "--all" being
> already used by some commands.

It is '--all' like in "git log --all".
 
The proposed semantics for ^{/foo} (i.e. not attached to revision)
would be that it acts on all positive revs on the left of it, replacing
them.  But that might be not easy to do, and it feels a bit 
overengineered.

> I think we can move '/' out of {}, the space between '/' and '{' can
> be used for optional parameters: ^/{foo}.

Do you mean using e.g. ^/:i{foo} for :ignorecase, instead of ^{:i/foo}
or ^{i/foo}?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland