Subject: git-cvsimport with cvsps output in commit msg breaks imports

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 22:03:49 +0000

Hi all,

[ I've Cced both the cvsps maintainer and the author listed for
git-cvsimport in case it's more relevant to either tool. ]

I am wondering if anyone here is able to shed some light on a problem I've
encountered with git-cvsimport.  For ages now, I've had an automatic
conversion of a CVS repository to a Git one, using git-cvsimport to update a
repository as commits happen in CVS.

The repository in question is here:

https://github.com/ThomasAdam/tmux

Everything is on the Master branch.

More specifically, the commit which I think introduced the problem, and all
subsequent commits thereafter is here:

https://github.com/ThomasAdam/tmux/commit/f0220a10b01a764e0dc52ea1b2407f58600a30eb

Note that from this commit onwards, the commit *message* has a bunch of
cvsps output in it.  I can only surmise that this somehow causes problems
for cvsimport.

But I can't say for sure.

But if you look at the commit after f0220a10b0:

https://github.com/ThomasAdam/tmux/commit/a7e5b474af93e36e314170e2db18e544e34cf7b3

The file cvsimport has imported has actually *reverted* the file in
question.  Confer:

-/* $Id: tmux.h,v 1.582 2010/12/06 21:48:56 nicm Exp $ */
+/* $Id: tmux.h,v 1.246 2009/01/21 19:38:51 nicm Exp $ */

Is anyone able to shed some light on this?  Needless to say I am a little
perplexed that content in the commit message (if that's what it is) would
cause a cvsimport to fail.

The net result of this is I can no longer compile the master branch at all
because of this.  Oh, and should anyone be thinking it, compiling the CVS
repository which the git-cvsimport command is referencing, compiles fine.
So it's definitely a problem with the import.

Any questions or further bits of information I can provide, do shout.

TIA.

-- Thomas Adam

-- 
"Deep in my heart I wish I was wrong.  But deep in my heart I know I am
not." -- Morrissey ("Girl Least Likely To" -- off of Viva Hate.)