Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Yaroslav Halchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:46:28 -0500

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> would make sense only if used with --no-commit.

> But for such a use case, "git read-tree -m -u 0.2" would work just as
> well, and discussion ended there ;-)

hm -- read-tree sounded like yet another unknown to me feature of GIT I
was trying desperately to discover ;)  unfortunately it doesn't produce a merge
for me :-/ -- just a simple commit with the state taken from the other tree:

$> git read-tree -m -u origin/master                 
cached/staged changes: 179 changes  

$> git commit -m 'blunt merge for -s theirs: -m -u origin/master '
[maint/0.5 b246251] blunt merge for -s theirs: -m -u origin/master
 175 files changed, 9589 insertions(+), 4914 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 doc/pics/ex_curvefitting_bold.svg
 create mode 100644 doc/pics/ex_curvefitting_searchlight.svg
 ...
$> git show HEAD^2                                                
fatal: ambiguous argument 'HEAD^2': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.

I am using git (Debian amd64): 1:1.7.2.3-2.1 (so it is 1.7.2.3)

-- 
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
Dartmouth College, 419 Moore Hall, Hinman Box 6207, Hanover, NH 03755
Phone: +1 (603) 646-9834                       Fax: +1 (603) 646-1419
WWW:   http://www.linkedin.com/in/yarik