Subject: Re: Re: [PATCH] git_getpass: fix ssh-askpass behaviour

From: hvoigt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 23:00:04 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 04:41:00PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Alexander Sulfrian <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > call ssh-askpass only if the display environment variable is also set
> > ---
> 
> I do not use it at all so I don't know for sure, but doesn't this break
> OSX?
> 
>   20f3490 (web--browse: fix Mac OS X GUI detection for 10.6, 2009-09-14)
> 
> is an example that you can be fully graphical without having DISPLAY set
> in some environment.  MinGW folks may want to chime in as well.

I am not sure about OSX because I just checked and there seems to be a
DISPLAY variable set which seems to be used to start a X session on
demand. But MinGW definitely has no DISPLAY variable set by default.

Additionally GIT_ASKPASS/SSH_ASKPASS does not have to be a graphical
tool does it? It could also be some program that looks up the password
from some secure database.

Cheers Heiko