Subject: Re: 'show' pretty %B without a diff

From: Peter Vereshagin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:12:15 +0300

Hey Mr(s) Junio show some good to me!
2010/12/20 01:05:17 -0800 Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> => To Peter Vereshagin :

JCH> > I'd like to output a comment in my script.
JCH> > Thus, I try: 'git show --format="%B" commitId'
JCH> > There is always diff in the end of the output. No matter what format I specify, even when it is empty.
JCH> > How can I avoid diff output in the 'git show'?
JCH> 
JCH> The best answer to "avoid" it would be not to use "git show"; after all
JCH> the command is about showing the change it introduces when it is used on a
JCH> commit.
JCH> 
JCH> Especially if you are doing a script, you probably should be using
JCH> "cat-file commit" anyway, no?

cat-file doesn't seem to support formatting option?
Also, it outputs 4 more unwanted fields than just the %B... used with the -p is
the only what looks like the what I asked. Is it appropriate in a general case
to skip the everything on that output till the first empty line? cause I'm not
sure those are always 4 and not-empty lines.

Thanks anyway, it's just better than nothing. Although I wish the -p for
cat-file to behave like the simlar-minded --pretty of the 'show'. (=

Or the Git.pm just to have a functionality to get the %B of the commit.

73! Peter pgp: A0E26627 (4A42 6841 2871 5EA7 52AB  12F8 0CE1 4AAC A0E2 6627)
--
http://vereshagin.org