Subject: Re: cvsimport still not working with cvsnt

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:36:54 -0600

(+cc: Emil, some cvsimport people)

Guy Rouillier wrote:

> I'm going to try sending this blind, as the mailing list has sent me
> the promised authorization key after 24 hrs.

No problem.  Actually a subscription is not required --- the
convention on this list is to always reply-to-all.

> I finally found the problems, both of which were reported in 2008
> here:
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2008/3/13/1157364

Seems to have received no replies[1].

> I do see one possible issue with the supplied modifications.  At
> work, we upgraded from CVS to CVSNT.  So, my home directory has both
> .cvspass (from the original CVS) and .cvs/cvspass (after the
> conversion to CVSNT.)  Sloppy housekeeping on my part, I admit, but
> probably not uncommon.  The supplied patch would pick up the
> original CVS file and would fail.  (BTW, this is true only of the
> git-cvsimport.perl script itself; cvsps must shell out to the
> installed CVS client (in my case, cvsnt), because when I invoked
> that manually, it worked.)
> 
> So, I would advise checking to see if both files exist, and if so
> exit with an error.  Unless cvsimport wants to get real fancy and
> shell out to the installed cvs client to try to figure out what is
> installed, there is no way to tell which cvspass file is actively
> being used.  I don't recommend trying to figure this out, as the
> user's intent is unclear.

Thanks, sounds sane to me.  Care to write a patch?

Regards,
Jonathan

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/77109