Subject: Re: 'show' pretty %B without a diff

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:04:59 -0600

Jakub Narebski wrote:

> I guess that `-s' should be present also in git-show manpage.

It is mentioned in the examples section since v1.7.3.3~42.  That
manpage needs a rework in general, though.

> There is also `git log -1` (or `git log -1 --no-walk` for paranoid).

Or even "git diff-tree -s --pretty=%B <commit>" if that is the intent.

As much as a person might dislike plumbing, plumbing is git's current
stable API.  Maybe the libgit2 project will come up with something
better[1].  Until then, I am happy to have some commands that avoid
user-friendliness niceties (like implied "HEAD") that would create
pitfalls when scripting.

Maybe it would be worth adding a plumbing example under the EXAMPLES
for each porcelain?  I can see that having to learn a second set of
commands might make life hard (like scripting in the bourne shell
when one is a csh user).

[1] I am pessimistic since that project has not made itself very
visible for feedback from the git list or submitted changes back to
git.  It would be great to be surprised.