Subject: Re: [PATCH] Document escaping of special characters in gitignore files

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 22:02:32 +0100

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Perhaps a single liner comment to describe the three examples immediately
> below "exclude patterns (uncomment them..." is in order in that case,
> something like:
> 
> # exclude patterns (object and library, emacs backup, emacs autosave
> # files) -- uncomment if you want to use them
> # *.[oa]
> # *~

Errr... I think that '*~' pattern is generic UNIX backup, like '*.bak'
is for MS-DOS / MS Windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilde#Backup_filenames

  Backup filenames

  The dominant Unix convention for naming backup copies of files is
  appending a tilde to the original file name. It originated with the
  Emacs text editor[citation needed] and was adopted by many other
  editors and some command-line tools.

> # \#*#

Anyway, should I reroll this patch with above addition?  Should I add
an explanation why we can use `\#` but need to use "{tilde}#"? 
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland