Subject: Re: [PATCH] t9010: svnadmin can fail even if available

From: Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 22:28:40 +0530

Hi,

Jonathan Nieder writes:
> To do the same for t91* would be impossible.  If svn is broken or not
> installed, svn-fe will run fine, but "git svn" will not.  On the other
> hand, if svnadmin were broken but svn still worked, "git svn" would be
> fine but that would be quite strange and I do not think it is worth
> spending time to prepare for.

I don't think it's worth spending time preparing for every concievable
breakage. The patch A few more examples of possible breakages I've
encountered:
- APR compiled without threading support, SVN compiled with it, or
  viceversa.
- SVN is compiled against GNU iconv, but apr-iconv installed, or
  viceversa.
- Two different versions of a dependent library are installed, and SVN
  links to a different version in a different location.

One or many components of SVN may fail. So, I'm in favor of the
current approach: if SVN is installed, attempt to run all the t91*
tests. Any failure can either be interpreted as a real test failure or
malformed SVN installation.

-- Ram