Subject: problem with cherry-picking a commit which comes before introducing a new submodule

From: Yaroslav Halchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 12:24:32 -0500

Hi GIT Gurus,

per quick IRC troubleshooting it seems to be some kind of an issue in
git cherry-pick logic which tries to deal with existing .gitmodules
structure?

In our repository we had some submodules, then there was a branch off
(call new branch todonotloose) with a single commit.  In the master we
had some other commits and moved one of the subdirectories into a
submodule.

Later on we decided to cherry pick todonotloose into master but
cherry-pick fails despite the fact that 'git show todonotloose | patch
-p1' applies just fine, ie there were no changes touching any of the
submodules.

See http://pastebin.com/hpqbiB03 for output.

IMHO everything is legit and failure should have not occurred, or am I
missing something?

-- 
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
Dartmouth College, 419 Moore Hall, Hinman Box 6207, Hanover, NH 03755
Phone: +1 (603) 646-9834                       Fax: +1 (603) 646-1419
WWW:   http://www.linkedin.com/in/yarik