Subject: Re: [RFD] My thoughts about implementing gitweb output caching

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 12:15:39 +0100

Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> > Jakub Narebski wrote:

> > > With output caching gitweb can also support 'Range' requests, which
> > > means that it would support resumable download.  This would mean hat we
> > > would be able to resume downloading of snapshot (or in the future
> > > bundle)... if we cannot do this now.  This would require some more code
> > > to be added.
> > 
> > Exciting stuff.
> > 
> > Teaching gitweb to generate bundles sounds like a recipe for high server
> > loads, though.  I suspect manual (or by cronjob) generation would work
> > better, with a possible exception of very frequently cloned and
> > infrequently pushed-to repos like linus's linux-2.6.
> 
> Even for Linus' linux repo, it is not a good idea to auto create bundle, 
> except maybe once every major release which is every 3 months or so.  I 
> really don't think this is a good idea to put this in the realm of 
> gitweb caching.

You are right, making gitweb aware of bundles (if they are put in some
specified place, e.g. .git/objects/pack or .git/objects/bundle) is I guess
a better idea than allowing for gitweb to generate bundles, perhaps
only if caching is enabled, and perhaps with very long expiration time.

Of course the standard way should be also the standard place for git
clients to find bundles in proposed extension to git-clone.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland