Subject: Re: Fwd: Git and Large Binaries: A Proposed Solution

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:42:26 -0400

Scott Chacon wrote:
> Sorry to come in a bit late to this, but in addition to git-annex, I
> wrote something called 'git-media' a long time ago that works in a
> similar manner to what you both are discussing.

Huh, if I had known about that I might not have written git-annex.
Although probably I would have still, I needed a more distributed
approach to storing data than git-media seems to support, and the
ability to partially check out only some files.

> >    git config --global filter.huge.clean huge-clean %f
> 
> This is amazing.  I absolutely did not know you could do this, and it
> would make parts of git-media way better if I re-implemented it using
> this.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Yeah, that's great, it should allow a smart clean filter to not waste
time reprocessing a known large file on every git status/git commit.

-- 
see shy jo