Subject: Re: [1.8.0] Remove deprecated commands

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:57:48 -0600

Hi,

René Scharfe wrote:

>    command          deprecated since replaced by
>    ---------------- ---------------- ---------------------

Some quick thoughts based on a code search:

 - removing lost-found seems safe
 - removing peek-remote seems safe
 - repo-config should probably warn before it is removed
 - removing tar-tree will probably break "make dist" for old
   projects.  I still am tempted to say removing it should be
   okay.

>    git-lost-found   2007-11-08       git fsck --lost-found

It can stay in contrib/examples for inspiration.

>    git-peek-remote  2007-11-24       git ls-remote

No one seems to be using it
(github.com/gitpan/App-GitHub-FindRepository.git uses it as a fallback
when ls-remote is not present).

>    git-repo-config  2008-01-17       git config

giggle[1] still uses it --- see libgiggle-git/giggle-git-config-read.c
and giggle-git-config-write.c.

Likewise darcs2git[2] and the stgit testsuite.

webkit's VCSUtils.pm only uses repo-config as a fallback when git
config is not present.

>    git-tar-tree     2007-11-08       git archive

Already prints a deprecation notice.  WWW::PkgFind from CPAN uses it
but doesn't seem to be maintained.

pilgrim[3] uses tar-tree in its "make dist" target.  I wouldn't be
surprised if some other projects use it in a similar way.

Jonathan

[1] git://git.gnome.org/giggle.git
[2] git://repo.or.cz/darcs2git.git
[3] git://git.fedorahosted.org/pilgrim.git