Subject: Re: "git add -u" broken in git 1.7.4?

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 00:19:14 +0100

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 09:48:48PM +0100, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Sebastian Pipping <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Is that behavior needed to be as is or could you change it to work from
> > everywhere?
> 
> I consider it as a design bug that "add -u" is not tree-wide, but it's
> not easy to change the existing behavior without breaking expectations
> of people used to the current behavior.

And others are bitten by it every once in a while.  Yes, myself
included ;)  Maybe this is also one of those things that might be
reconsidered for 1.8.0?

> > Could it be it has been working from anywhere before?
> 
> Can you post an example where Git 1.7.4 and a previous version behave
> differently? Up to now, I see difference between your expectations and
> what Git does, but not between new and old versions.

git add -u was tree-wide when it was introduced in dfdac5d (git-add
-u: match the index with working tree., 2007-04-20), but 2ed2c22
(git-add -u paths... now works from subdirectory, 2007-08-16) broke it
while fixing something related.

Best,
Gábor